Dry Pods? Here's What to Do
Have you been experiencing issues with your UrbiPod's wicking system not wicking correctly? If your pods are dry even though your tank is full of water, this is likely a wicking issue.
In the recent batch of shipments from our manufacturer, a small number of wicks (from both the FS and +Plus models) appear to have been made with a slight mistake. This inhibits their ability to work correctly. However, there is a solution that can be done at home.
Our wicks are made of a porous material that conducts water. However, this conduction only works with the help of a surface aid: the outer layer of hydrophilic material that coats the wicks. The issue of dry pods is caused by a mistake in manufacturing where the surface coating was not correctly applied so some wicks, leaving them with spots that do not properly conduct water.
Dishwashing detergent acts as a means to solve the problem. The detergent acts as a surfactant (an active surface agent) that helps to break the surface tension between the water and the wick. This allows the water to move freely.
Follow the steps below to solve your issue using dishwashing detergent.
If your Pod is full of Plants
1. Remove your Pod from the UrbiPod base.
2. Apply 1-2 drops of dishwashing detergent to the top of the long wick protruding from the UrbiPod base.
3. Place your Pod back into the UrbiPod Base. The detergent will make contact with the wick and it will start to conduct water.
If your Pod is Empty
1. Remove your wicks from the pod.
2. Place the wick face-down across the top of an empty cup.
3. Pour a little bit of water into the wick's recess. If the water does not flow through the wick and into the glass, then move to the next step.
4. Pour 1-2 drops of dishwashing detergent into the wick's recess alongside the water.
5. The water should now flow freely.
Try the above solutions, and your Pods should be back in working order in no time. if you experience any further issues, please contact us for help.